Friday, November 14, 2008

Tricks and Advice I picked up from PegaWORLD

Instead of a story I’ve decided to put together a list of helpful tricks and information I picked up throughout the convention. Some things I learned through watching and most things through asking. Thankfully the KR colleagues that I reached out too were not only seasoned in convention culture but were also more than happy to give some of their time to me and share their knowledge and advice.

Where to Sit?

When attending a seminar- sit one seat in (or two) from the edges of the row.

- I noticed that the customers attending these seminars attended them either alone or in a small group. People entering the seminar are generally not going to look to sit in a row where they have to climb over another person sitting in an edge seat.


- Also for late arrivals nothing looks better than an easy to access open seat, which is right off the middle row. So while this empty seat trick obviously allows people to quickly sit, it also causes people to literally sit right next to you. The proximity is important because it allows for easier conversation, and for you to listen in on their understated reactions to statements made throughout the seminar.

When attending meals, sit at a table where others who are already sitting are not from the same organization.

- Tables with multiple groups open up multiple chances of interacting with potential customers.

- Specifically look for a table holding small groups of couples or singles not from the same organization. Clues to this are seats left empty in-between people. Different clothing attire can also be a hint. How far along the folks are in their meals can also be a hint.

- The idea behind this is tables that consist of multiple parties are tables conducive of conversation. Specifically conversation which includes other people at the table.

When in-between convention functions.

- Walk Slowly. After actually being called out by a Gaylord hotel employee for “Lookin like I’m at a foot race or something” I began noticing how a lot of other partners at PegaWorld noticeably took their time walking in the common areas.

- Do your emailing in the common areas. I learned this on the last day. I had my laptop with me because I had checked out of my room. When working from these common areas people will always be walking by. While working from a seat in the common area of PegaWorld I was able to re-connect with 3 of the people I had met and spoken with earlier in the convention.



So you’re a human brand? What’s that all about?

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/mark-wahlberg-talks-to-animals/727504/


- Aside from my lame attempt at a Mark Walberg joke :) I found that being a walking advertisement was a new concept for me. Wearing a KR shirt transformed us into a brand. And branding is a major marketing technique. What comes with a wearing a clear symbol of the company you stand for is the ability to portray the kind of company a customer wants to hire.


In order to properly personify this, here are some rules I followed:


- Be genuine and nice to everyone- specifically the hotel staff. I noticed a convention attendee shunning a Gaylord employee. Not only does this come off as poor manners, it can be really upsetting to witnesses you are unaware of.

- By laughing, smiling and having a good time with fellow KR ‘shirts’ we get show just how great of a company we are. Almost like a live commercial.



And probably the most important trick (told to me by Pam :) was to never take anything personally!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home